Re: Referential integrity question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From William H. Geiger III
Subject Re: Referential integrity question
Date
List pgsql-general
In <200011051615.QAA78279@mail.iol.ie>, on 11/05/00
   at 10:12 AM, "Raymond O'Donnell" <rod@iol.ie> said:

>Hi all,

>Is this normal? - I have discovered the hard way that permissions
>GRANTed to a user on one table influence that user's ability to  update
>another table in a foreign key relationship with it. To be  specific,
>here are the relevant bits of the two tables:

>create table usertypes (
>   typecode      varchar(16) primary key,
>   description   varchar(64),
>);

>grant select on usertypes to webanon;

>create table users (
>   uid   varchar(16)      primary key,
>   pwd   varchar(16),
>   typecode   varchar(16) references usertypes
>                          on update cascade
>);

>grant select,insert,update,delete on users to webanon;

>Now, when user webanon tries to update a field in table "users", the
>update doesn't happen.....however, it DOES happen if I grant update
>permissions to webanon on table "usertypes".

>Any comments welcome! - Many thanks.

If I am looking at this you wouldn't want webanon to be able to update
table "usertypes". Table "usertypes" is a lookup table and as such should
not be modified by any entries in table "users".

How do you have the relationship between the two tables set up?

William H. Geiger III      http://www.openpgp.net
Geiger Consulting

Data Security & Cryptology Consulting
Programming, Networking, Analysis