Referential integrity question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Referential integrity question
Date
Re: Referential integrity question  ("William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@openpgp.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

Is this normal? - I have discovered the hard way that permissions
GRANTed to a user on one table influence that user's ability to
update another table in a foreign key relationship with it. To be
specific, here are the relevant bits of the two tables:

create table usertypes (
   typecode      varchar(16) primary key,
   description   varchar(64),
);

grant select on usertypes to webanon;

create table users (
   uid   varchar(16)      primary key,
   pwd   varchar(16),
   typecode   varchar(16) references usertypes
                          on update cascade
);

grant select,insert,update,delete on users to webanon;

Now, when user webanon tries to update a field in table "users", the
update doesn't happen.....however, it DOES happen if I grant update
permissions to webanon on table "usertypes".

Any comments welcome! - Many thanks.

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell                         http://www.iol.ie/~rod/organ
rod@iol.ie (or rod@gti.ie)                   The Irish Pipe Organ Page