Re: Re: postgres TODO - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: Re: postgres TODO
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Philip's INSERT ... RETURNING idea could support returning TID and
> table OID as a special case, and it has the saving grace that it
> won't affect apps that don't use it...
   I  like  that one alot more too. It should be relatively easy   to add a list of attributes (specified  after
RETURNING) to   the  querytree.  Then send out a regular result set of tuples   built from the requested attributes  of
the  new  tuple  (at   INSERT/UPDATE) or the old one (at DELETE) during the executor   run.  Or  maybe  both  and
specified as   NEW.attname   vs.   OLD.attnam?  Then  it needs AS too, making the attribute list   looking like a
targetlistrestricted to Var nodes.

   This doesn't require any changes in the FE/BE protocol. And a   client  using this new feature just expects
TUPLES_OKinstead   of COMMAND_OK when using the new functionality.

Jan