Re: Porting reports (cont'd) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Porting reports (cont'd)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > About Unixware 7, I sent a few reports for witch I did'nt get answer.
>
> I did see some traffic about this; not sure if it was with you or with
> Billie Allie (sp?).
>
> > There are 2 problems:
> > backend/utils/adt/int8.c doesn't compile out of the box.
> > changing around line 416 (for loop) the test i > 0 by 0 < i as previously
> > reported help things.
> > Although I haven't tried, I'm quite sur changing anything else would help
> > the same way...
>
> Compiler bugs are a PITA. But Postgres can't have inline code to
> handle all cases, esp. cases like this. "if (var op const)" is imho
> the usual style for comparisons, and obfuscating that for a single
> buggy platform isn't a Good Thing.

The bigger problem is that just fixes the comparison done by the
regression tests.  Who knows how many other comparisons are broken.  I
say leave it broken and don't trust it.  If we fix just the
regression-shown fault, we give users a false sense of security.

Pennsylvania19026