Re: Porting reports (cont'd) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Porting reports (cont'd)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Compiler bugs are a PITA. But Postgres can't have inline code to
>> handle all cases, esp. cases like this. "if (var op const)" is imho
>> the usual style for comparisons, and obfuscating that for a single
>> buggy platform isn't a Good Thing.

> The bigger problem is that just fixes the comparison done by the
> regression tests.  Who knows how many other comparisons are broken.  I
> say leave it broken and don't trust it.  If we fix just the
> regression-shown fault, we give users a false sense of security.

Excellent point...

What we've usually done in the past, when faced with compiler problems,
is to cut down the optimization setting selected by the platform's
template file.  If that helps for Unixware then it'd make sense to do
it, IMHO.