Re: Porting reports (cont'd) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Porting reports (cont'd)
Date
Re: Porting reports (cont'd)
List pgsql-hackers
> About Unixware 7, I sent a few reports for witch I did'nt get answer.

I did see some traffic about this; not sure if it was with you or with
Billie Allie (sp?).

> There are 2 problems:
> backend/utils/adt/int8.c doesn't compile out of the box.
> changing around line 416 (for loop) the test i > 0 by 0 < i as previously
> reported help things.
> Although I haven't tried, I'm quite sur changing anything else would help
> the same way...

Compiler bugs are a PITA. But Postgres can't have inline code to
handle all cases, esp. cases like this. "if (var op const)" is imho
the usual style for comparisons, and obfuscating that for a single
buggy platform isn't a Good Thing.

> The second is more tricky: On UW 71x, accept call has a bug (witch doesn't
> exist in 7.01). in case of a unix domain sa_family is set to 0 instead of
> 1 (AF_UNIX)...
> What I did was to add the following lines after accept in pqcomm.c:
> if (port->raddr.sa.sa_family == 0)
>         port->raddr.sa.sa_family = AF_UNIX;

OK, more bugs in the same category as above (esp. since they don't
exist on other versions of UW even). Check the current SCO FAQ, and if
these aren't mentioned then please add some words. Also, if you want
to post a full patch for either or both problems, then other UW users
can have a workaround until SCO gets around to fixing their problems.

Sorry for not being able to do more, but platform bugs are really a
case-by-case thing, and these two both seem to put the burden on the
platform to get it right imho.

Regards.
                       - Thomas

South Pasadena, California