Re: failure of \e in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: failure of \e in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Peter, before I go hunting around, can you tell me any other things psql
> > used to do that it doesn't do anymore?
>
> Well, let's put it this way: Everythings that used to work, that people
> found useful, and that doesn't work anymore is a bug. That's what it's all
> about after all.
>
> However: About the \e thing I simply didn't know. The \p\g was removed for
> consistency. You might also be interested to know that \E no longer
> exists, because I couldn't make sense of it. Also \d* is slated for
> implementation but no one wanted to respond to my request to explain what
> this is actually supposed to do. That's all I can come up with right now.

First, let me say I am very glad you overhauled psql.  It was very
needed, and I like the new functionality.  Already learned \echo `date`.
Quite handy and very flexible.

I was just curious if there was any stuff you found confusing and
skipped so we could comment on it all at once.

We have fixed the pager off by default, and looks like \p\g and \e need
work, but that is small compared to how much functionality does work
perfectly.  I personally found the \e and \p\g stuff very tricky to
implement.

[Of course, with the new output, I am going to have to re-do every one
of my SQL query outputs for the book.  :-) ]

No idea what \d* does, nor \E.

Pennsylvania19026