Re: failure of \e in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: failure of \e in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter, before I go hunting around, can you tell me any other things psql
> used to do that it doesn't do anymore?

Well, let's put it this way: Everythings that used to work, that people
found useful, and that doesn't work anymore is a bug. That's what it's all
about after all.

However: About the \e thing I simply didn't know. The \p\g was removed for
consistency. You might also be interested to know that \E no longer
exists, because I couldn't make sense of it. Also \d* is slated for
implementation but no one wanted to respond to my request to explain what
this is actually supposed to do. That's all I can come up with right now.

> We had hand-tuned psql over the years, and it would be good to know what
> features no longer exist so we can decide if they are needed.

Well, I really comes down to what Tom said, doesn't it: If the docs don't
match the code, the code it wrong. And it will get fixed. A lot of those
"tunings" seemed to be of the nature "If I put \o after \x I want it to do
<foo> instead".

That doesn't mean that they were bad of course, but the purpose of all of
this was to put a consistent face on things.

Having said that, if I mess it up I'll fix it of course.