Re: [HACKERS] I've got it, now should I commit it? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] I've got it, now should I commit it?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> After reading a couple more complaints of hashtable-overflow error
> messages, I went ahead and rewrote the hash join modules so that they
> don't use fixed-size hash buckets and a fixed-size overflow area.
> Instead, each bucket is just a linked list of tuples (thus no wasted
> space for underused buckets) and everything is put into a private portal
> so that reclaiming the space is easy/quick.  The code is noticeably
> shorter and more readable than before.
>
> The limited amount of testing I've been able to do here shows no
> problems.
>
> Now: do I commit it, or wait till after 6.5?  I promised Marc the latter
> a couple weeks ago, but I am mighty tempted to just go for it...

Shhh.  He will never know.  Did you promise Marc, or did you answer him
evasively, like I suggested?

Basically, with the new optimizer, this may be a bug fix because of the
more frequent hashjoins.  That has always been my smokescreen to add the
feature.

:-)

Pennsylvania19026