Re: [HACKERS] Beta2? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Beta2?
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Beta2?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> > #define ALIGNOF_SHORT 2
> > #define ALIGNOF_INT 2
> > #define ALIGNOF_LONG 2
> > #define ALIGNOF_LONG_LONG_INT 2
> > #define ALIGNOF_DOUBLE 2
> > #define MAXIMUM_ALIGNOF 2
>
> OK, I guess that's reasonable for m68k hardware.  I wonder whether
> anything is assuming that MAXALIGN is at least 4...
>
> >> What exactly happens when you try a
> >> createdb?  Can you connect to the template1 database and do SQL stuff
> >> after initdb, without having done a createdb?
>
> > "psql template1" gets coredumped. But 6.4.2 clients can connect to the
> > backend. Seems something going wrong with libpq stuffs.
>
> Do you mean that psql itself (not the backend) is coredumping?  Can you
> provide a backtrace from the corefile?

Yes, but I do not have the backtrace handy since that was reported
from a guy, not by me.

BTW, from interfaces/libpq/fe-exec.c:
* Requirements for correct function are:* PGRESULT_ALIGN_BOUNDARY >= sizeof(pointer)*        to ensure the initial
pointerin a block is not overwritten.

[snip]
#define PGRESULT_ALIGN_BOUNDARY        MAXIMUM_ALIGNOF /* from configure */

I wonder there seems to be a problem if MAXIMUM_ALIGNOF == 2?
---
Tatsuo Ishii