Re: Null records in pg_operator - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Null records in pg_operator
Date
List pgsql-novice

---------+--------------+----------+---------+------------+---------+----------+-----------+--------+-----------+------------+------------+------------+------------+---------+---------+---------
>          |              |          |         |            |         |
>         |           |        |           |            |            |
>          |            |         |         |
>          |              |          |         |            |         |
>         |           |        |           |            |            |
>          |            |         |         |
> (2 rows)

You've got a badly corrupted table there :-(  pg_filedump might yield
some clues as to what happened, but what you'll probably ultimately
have to do is try to copy the pg_operator data over from an undamaged
database in the same cluster.  I'd suggest a dump and reload as soon
as you can get a clean pg_dump --- with something like this, I always
wonder what else has been tromped on.

As far as preventing it from happening again:
* are you on the latest minor release for your version of Postgres?
(This doesn't look like any bug I know of, but it's still good advice)
* are you running an up-to-date kernel?
* try running memory and disk diagnostics to see if you've got
flaky hardware.

If I had to bet with no more info, I'd bet on kernel bugs first and
flaky RAM second.

            regards, tom lane