Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > >     ...next, do you actually get a core file that you can analyze
> > > using gdb?  If so, what do the results show?
> >
> > I get a core file, but it doesn't tell me squat,
>
>     It can generally tell you alot...do you have gdb on your system?
> have you compiled with -g (debugging symbols) compiled in?  Using gdb and
> the core file, you should be able to get pretty close to the exact line
> (and values) where the error is occuring...combine that with 'script', and
> you can pretty much give us a screen capture of what you are doing...
>
> > I've actually zeroed in on the problem.  It lies somewhere in the
> > SearchSysCache routine.  I'm attempting to debug it now...  So far, what I
> > get is: (Note "[KTH]" is a debug message added by yours truly)

I think it is at:

    backend/catalog/index.c:298:            func_error("BuildFuncTupleDesc",
    funcname, nargs, argtypes);

The function he is having trouble with is one that gets created by
initdb for use in an index.  Must be failing there somehow, but without
initdb completing, you can't easily debug to see what is in the pg_proc
table.

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist@candle.pha.pa.us