Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostGreSQL v6.2.1 for Linux Alpha
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Kenji T. Hollis wrote:

> >     No, this isn't...generally we tend to try and point you in the
> > right direction towards determining the problem...
>
> Instead of bitching out at the person who found the problem.  I see.
> Maybe I should have said "pretty please".  ;)

    Nope, that wouldn't have helped either...its difficult for us to
attempt to debug a problem with a platform that we don't have access to,
so we tend to rely on the person reporting the problem to provide us as
much detail as possible concerning the problem.  At times, you have to
nudge the developers a little more then others, but its a volunteer
development environment, and everyone has their own priorities...:(

> >     ...next, do you actually get a core file that you can analyze
> > using gdb?  If so, what do the results show?
>
> I get a core file, but it doesn't tell me squat,

    It can generally tell you alot...do you have gdb on your system?
have you compiled with -g (debugging symbols) compiled in?  Using gdb and
the core file, you should be able to get pretty close to the exact line
(and values) where the error is occuring...combine that with 'script', and
you can pretty much give us a screen capture of what you are doing...

> I've actually zeroed in on the problem.  It lies somewhere in the
> SearchSysCache routine.  I'm attempting to debug it now...  So far, what I
> get is: (Note "[KTH]" is a debug message added by yours truly)

    Bruce...I just checked backend/catalog/index.c, where
BuildFuncTupleDesc() exists, and there is no error message that matches
his above ERROR...

    Ken...look at the top of backend/catalog/index.c and tell me what
version it stays it is?  On the $Header: line?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org