Re: Making C function declaration parameter names consistent with corresponding definition names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Making C function declaration parameter names consistent with corresponding definition names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> I would like to give another 24 hours for anybody to lodge final
> objections to what I've done in this patch. It seems possible that
> there will be concerns about how this might affect backpatching, or
> something like that. This patch goes relatively far in the direction
> of refactoring to make things consistent at the module level -- unlike
> most of the patches, which largely consisted of mechanical adjustments
> that were obviously correct, both locally and at the whole-module level.

Yeah.  I'm not much on board with the AHX->A and AH->A changes you made;
those seem extremely invasive and it's not real clear that they add a
lot of value.

I've never thought that the Archive vs. ArchiveHandle separation in
pg_dump was very well thought out.  I could perhaps get behind a patch
to eliminate that bit of "abstraction"; but I'd still try to avoid
wholesale changes in local-variable names from it.  I don't think that
would buy anything that's worth the back-patching pain.  Just accepting
that Archive[Handle] variables might be named either AH or AHX depending
on historical accident does not seem that bad to me.  We have lots more
and worse naming inconsistencies in our tree.