Re: hstore parser incorrectly handles malformed input - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: hstore parser incorrectly handles malformed input
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Ryan Kelly <rpkelly22@gmail.com> writes:
> As long as we make it consistent on both sides of the '=>' (and document
> it, too), then I don't really care either way. Currently you have to use
> quotes to get an empty key, so I thought it natural to that you should
> have to quote to get an empty value.

> I've attached a modified version of Tom's patch which also allows empty
> keys.

Hm ... I don't agree that keys and values are interchangeable, and
I don't see that empty keys are a good thing (whereas empty values are
clearly a reasonable edge case).  So I think this is going a bit far;
it seems to me it'd be giving up a lot of syntax-error detection
capability in return for some not-actually-helpful symmetry.

On the other hand, I seldom use hstore so I'm probably not the best
person to be judging the appropriateness of these options.  Any other
votes out there?

            regards, tom lane