Re: BUG #6619: Misleading output from slave when host is not running - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: BUG #6619: Misleading output from slave when host is not running
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM,  <petteri.raty@aalto.fi> wrote:

> LOG: =A0entering standby mode
> WARNING: =A0WAL was generated with wal_level=3Dminimal, data may be missi=
ng
> HINT: =A0This happens if you temporarily set wal_level=3Dminimal without =
taking
> a new base backup.
> FATAL: =A0hot standby is not possible because wal_level was not set to
> "hot_standby" on the master server
> HINT: =A0Either set wal_level to "hot_standby" on the master, or turn off
> hot_standby here.
> LOG: =A0startup process (PID 28761) exited with exit code 1
> LOG: =A0aborting startup due to startup process failure
>
> The error message above on the FATAL line is wrong (or at least misleadin=
g).
> The real problem should be that it can't connect to the master. The
> wal_level on the master is hot_standby (captured after I started it):

The HINT that we should simply set something on the master is a little
misleading with respect to timing. However, if the master and the
standby aren't even connected and you know that, how did you expect
there to be a causal link between the setting on the master and the
state of the standby?

What do you suggest the messages say?

--=20
=A0Simon Riggs=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 http:/=
/www.2ndQuadrant.com/
=A0PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services