Re: Problem specifying limit in select inside insert. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problem specifying limit in select inside insert.
Date
List pgsql-general
Denis Perchine <dyp@perchine.com> writes:
> insert into address (cid,email) select distinct '49'::int,member.email from
> member imit 1 ;

INSERT ... SELECT ... LIMIT doesn't work.  In existing releases the
LIMIT clause is just dropped on the floor by the parser :-(.  In current
CVS sources you get
    ERROR:  LIMIT is not supported in subselects
which at least lets you know you have a problem.  I have a to-do item
to see if this can be made to work right, but it's not very high
priority.  I think the correct fix is to pull LIMIT handling out of
ExecutorRun and make it be handled by a new plan node type, but that'll
probably take more time than I can spare before 7.1 ...

            regards, tom lane