Re: Transaction Id wraparounds - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Transaction Id wraparounds
Date
List pgsql-general
Amin Abdulghani <amin@quantiva.com> writes:
> From the administrator's guide I understand a
> system wide VACUUM or VACUUM FREEZE would perform the job
> but for a large database (>10GB and growing) this takes a
> long time to run.

So?  You don't have to do it often, and it doesn't lock your
tables against normal operations ... so I don't really see the
objection.  I would not bother with FREEZE unless you are trying
to make a template database.

> what should be the criteria to check when this issue needs
> to be addressed.

When age(datfrozenxid) approaches 2 billion, it's time.  I believe
vacuum will start warning you well before that.

            regards, tom lane