Re: Transaction Id wraparounds - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Transaction Id wraparounds
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 11:27:38AM -0400, Amin Abdulghani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What fast, efficient options are available for preventing
> transaction Id wraparounds for a growing database (mainly
> inserts). From the administrator's guide I understand a
> system wide VACUUM or VACUUM FREEZE would perform the job
> but for a large database (>10GB and growing) this takes a
> long time to run.

As I understand it, _only_ vacuum or dump and initdb will solve this
problem.

But who cares if vacuum takes a long time?  The transaction
wraparound stuff is only available in 7.2 and later, so oyu can use
the non-blocking vacuum in 7.2, and let it run for a week if it takes
that long.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110