Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm one of those that should probably be testing early. As it stands,
> I'm subscribed to -hackers and if I downloaded a snapshot from today I
> still don't know what it is I'd be testing.
> How about a series of mini-releases (say) every 8 weeks - 7 weeks
> patching, 1 week stabilising.

I think that would be fairly useless.  CVS tip is rarely broken to the
extent of not being worthy of testing --- we simply won't apply patches
that break it, because they'd interfere with other development work.

The main downside of testing a snapshot, as I see it, is that the
snapshot is virtually certain not to be initdb-compatible with either
the previous release or the upcoming one.  Mini-releases would have
that problem too, and so I don't really see what they add in terms of
testability.