Re: Rough draft for Unicode-aware UPPER()/LOWER()/INITCAP() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Rough draft for Unicode-aware UPPER()/LOWER()/INITCAP()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marko Karppinen <marko@karppinen.fi> writes:
> I think this interaction between the locale and server_encoding is
> confusing. Is there any use case for running an incompatible mix?

In hindsight we should probably not have invented per-database encoding
selection, since it's so fragile to use in combination with cluster-wide
locale settings.  However I believe that a lot of people in the Far East
are using multiple database encodings successfully, since they don't
much care about upper()/lower() etc ...

The long-term answer is to write our own locale support so we can
eliminate the cluster-wide-locale restriction.  In the meantime I don't
want to remove flexibility that is useful to some people.