Re: proposal: be smarter about i/o patterns in index scan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: proposal: be smarter about i/o patterns in index scan
Date
Re: proposal: be smarter about i/o patterns in index scan  ("Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@acm.org>)
Re: proposal: be smarter about i/o patterns in index scan  ("Glen Parker" <glenebob@nwlink.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@acm.org> writes:
> We have noticed a way to make a major improvement in Pg's performance on
> our workload, and I would like to get your thoughts before I go off to
> work up a patch.

For starters, read the previous discussions of this in the archives.

Two questions you should have answers to before starting to implement,
rather than after, are how to deal with locking considerations and
what will be the implications of giving up the property that indexscans
deliver sorted output.