Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Richard Huxton wrote:
> >>What can be done?  Well, money from Fujitsu and other companies
> >>(Afilias/Sloney, Command Prompt/ecpg-plPHP), is allowing us to hit
> >>some of these bigger items, so hopefully that will move us forward
> >>in these complex areas. I am not sure what could have been done to
> >>push some of these projects along faster.
> >

> > Perhaps some more public cajoling of the masses into helping out
> > would be good. Not just development but testing. Occasional posts on
> > general asking people to help test Win32 and PITR for example, or a
> > prominent link on the main page asking people to try out the latest
> > Win32. It may not be "beta-ready" yet, but it surely could not hurt
> > to have people start testing as soon as possible.
>
> I'm one of those that should probably be testing early. As it stands,
> I'm subscribed to -hackers and if I downloaded a snapshot from today I
> still don't know what it is I'd be testing.
>
> How about a series of mini-releases (say) every 8 weeks - 7 weeks
> patching, 1 week stabilising. That would provide something solid enough
> to do some development work with, but you're not going to cry if (e.g.)
> nested transactions didn't work with system tables.
>
> Is that a plausible situation, or madness from a developer-resources
> point of view?

We actually don't need more testing. We already know the missing issues
with most features.  The big problem is finding folks who have the time
to ramp up the steep learning curve needed to contribute to these
complex features.

Pennsylvania19073