AW: VS2022: Support Visual Studio 2022 on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hans Buschmann
Subject AW: VS2022: Support Visual Studio 2022 on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
During October Patchday 2021 the Visual Studio components where upraded too.

Now VS2022 Preview 5 is out, also Visual Studio 2022 RC is available to be used for production use (seems like our RC
withrespect to features).

In the long of this process Microsoft announced the general availability of VS200 for Monday, November 8, see

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/visualstudio/join-us-november-8th-for-the-launch-of-visual-studio-2022/

This date is just some hours after the wrapup for our minor release on November 11.

Barring any objections I suggest to apply the patch just before this weekend in November to have the support for
MicrosoftsDeveloper Suite for the following 3 months available. (PS: no one is OBLIGUED to use the new version of VS,
theinterest for PG14 will grow with PG14.1 and this support effects only experienced users self-compiling on windows).

I will watch the development in the first week of November and will update the patch to include the latest version
number.

It seems clear that VS2022 will take the 14.30 range as Version number (seen from the VC runtime versions installed)

Only the VisualStudioVersion (17.0.31717.71) will be changed like on EVERY update of a Visual Studio
installation/upgrade.

VS2019 is now on 16.11.5, Postgres never upgrades this number for older versions and always uses the initial number
whenintroduced (here 16.0.28729.10 for VS2019).

So it seems safe to use a number of a version which can be used for building PG without errors.

Thanks

Hans Buschmann