Re: AW: VS2022: Support Visual Studio 2022 on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: AW: VS2022: Support Visual Studio 2022 on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hans Buschmann <buschmann@nidsa.net> writes:
> In the long of this process Microsoft announced the general availability of VS200 for Monday, November 8, see
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/visualstudio/join-us-november-8th-for-the-launch-of-visual-studio-2022/
> This date is just some hours after the wrapup for our minor release on November 11.

Ugh, bad timing.

> Barring any objections I suggest to apply the patch just before this weekend in November to have the support for
MicrosoftsDeveloper Suite for the following 3 months available.

Immediately before a release is the worst possible time to be applying
non-critical patches.  I think better options are to
(1) commit now, using the RC release's version as the minimum, or
(2) wait till just after our release cycle.

Of course, if we only plan to commit to HEAD and not back-patch,
this is all moot.