Re: question regarding regular expressions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Cindy
Subject Re: question regarding regular expressions
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane writes:
 >Cindy <ctmoore@uci.edu> writes:
 >> If I've got something like "...AND citation ~ 'x[0-9]*'..." in my
 >> query, is there any way to extract the portion that matched?
 >
 >Not in SQL --- but you could easily write a plperl or pltcl function
 >to do that.

OK, I'm looking over the documentation for this.  One question,
which doesn't seem to be addressed in the documentation
(http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?plperl-install.html)
I'm looking at, it says that you must issue a
createlang plperl <dbname>
in order to make use of this in a particular database.  Does this
need to be done prior to populating the database, or can it be done
any time subsequent?

--Cindy
--
ctmoore@uci.edu