Re: [GENERAL] starting PG command line options vs postgresql.con - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] starting PG command line options vs postgresql.con
Date
List pgsql-general
rakeshkumar464 <rakeshkumar464@outlook.com> writes:
> I am new to Docker env and I see that PG, as a container is started with
> [ lots of command-line parameters ]

> I would prefer using postgresql.conf.  what is the consensus in this forum
> regarding command line vs postgresql.conf.  Also if conflicting, which one
> takes priority.

The command line takes priority, IIRC, which means that nothing set on
the command line can be overridden without a restart.

I like to specify -p on the command line so that it's easy to tell which
postmaster is which in "ps" listings (of course, this only matters if
you're running multiple postmasters).  Otherwise it's better to leave
as much as you can to postgresql.conf.