Re: CFLAGS and configure options - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Pavel Raiskup
Subject Re: CFLAGS and configure options
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Hello Martín,

On Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:00:48 Martín Marqués wrote:
> So, now I'm building some PostgreSQL rpms and was going through the
> different parameters (and checking on what options they set to
> configure), and I see that --debug is only used when beta is 1.
>
> I'd actually expect --debug and --cassert to be separated with 2
> distinct rpm parameters, some thing like:
>
> * debug 1 to get only --debug
> * beta 1 to get --debug and --cassert
>
> Is there a reason why rpms are not built with --debug as a default
> configure option?

I'm not the correct person to answer why it is like that (the %beta part
of *spec file is quite old).  But at least in Fedora/RHEL we build with
debugging information by default (we are passing the -g option to gcc via
CFLAGS).  This may be pretty likely historic leftover nobody cared of
until now.

As a workaround, you may use 'export CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g"' before you'll
rpmbuild, or so.

Pavel