Re: Checking for Presence of Required Libraries Fails duringPostgreSQL Upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From TalGloz
Subject Re: Checking for Presence of Required Libraries Fails duringPostgreSQL Upgrade
Date
Re: Checking for Presence of Required Libraries Fails duringPostgreSQL Upgrade  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver-4 wrote
> On 5/1/20 3:39 PM, TalGloz wrote:
>> Adrian Klaver-4 wrote
>>> Why not compile them against 11?
>>>
>>> Then follow step 5) here:
>>>
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/pgupgrade.html
>>
>> Step 5 doesn’t actually say how to compile them during the upgrade
>> process
>> it just gives a warning about not to use "CREATE EXTENSION my_lib"
>> because
>> this won't effect the target version. Do you mean that I'll have to
>> compile
>> them manually to my target PostgreSQL Version?
>
> You haven't said how you installed the various versions of Postgres in
> the first place. Bottom line is that the libraries that existed in the
> old version need to exist on the new version. If they where not included
> as part of the install process them they need to be manually
> created/added.
>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> https://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html
>>

> --
> Adrian Klaver

> adrian.klaver@

I use Fedora OS and I've a set up and running PostgreSQL10 instance that
I've installed using
*dnf install postgresql10**. Sicne I've decided to upgrade directly to 12
instead of to 11 I've installed the 12 version using *dnf install
postgresql12**. I'm currently following the steps described in:

1.  UPGRADE POSTGRESQL 10 To 11
<https://dbtut.com/index.php/2018/10/30/upgrade-postgresql-10-to-11/>  . It
has some syntax errors in the suggested command lines that I've corrected on
my side.

2.  How to upgrade PostgreSQL from 11 to 12
<https://www.kostolansky.sk/posts/upgrading-to-postgresql-12/>  . The steps
were written for Ubuntu / Debian, It should work the same by updating the
paths to correct Fedora related paths of PostreSQL installation.

Unfortunately, none of the tutorials describes the steps on how to port /
handle some manually created C extension functions libraries to the new
PostgreSQL instance.

TalGloz

--
Sent from: https://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html