Re: How to use pg_waldump? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: How to use pg_waldump?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2020-May-01, André Hänsel wrote:

> Paul Förster wrote:
>
> > maybe try with another WAL file or files?
> >
> > Works for me...
>
> Ok, I tried it with all the files in the pg_wal directory and it
> worked with one: the first one (lexicographically/hex).

The other files have not yet been written, so pg_waldump cannot read
them.  If you can find out what was the name of the file that it had
before the recycling, you can rename (a copy of) the file to that, and
then pg_waldump will be able to read it.  (You can try brute-forcing the
search for the correct file name).

If you have an archive_command-generated archive of WALs, or
pg_receivewal, those files should all be readable by pg_waldump.