Re: Page Checksums + Double Writes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Page Checksums + Double Writes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I had a perhaps crazier idea. Aren't CLOG pages older than global xmin
> effectively read only?  Could backends that need these bypass locking
> and shared memory altogether?

Hmm ... once they've been written out from the SLRU arena, yes.  In fact
you don't need to go back as far as global xmin --- *any* valid xmin is
a sufficient boundary point.  The only real problem is to know whether
the data's been written out from the shared area yet.

This idea has potential.  I like it better than Robert's, mainly because
I do not want to see us put something in place that would lead people to
try to avoid rollbacks.