Re: patch: bytea_agg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: patch: bytea_agg
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On fre, 2011-12-23 at 13:30 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> Well, because it doesn't operate on strings.

>> Sure, binary strings. �Both the SQL standard and the PostgreSQL
>> documentation use that term.

> I'm unimpressed by that argument, but let's see what other people think.

I generally agree with Peter: string_agg makes sense here.  The only
real argument against it is Pavel's point that he didn't include a
delimiter parameter, but that just begs the question why not.  It
seems at least plausible that there would be use-cases for it.

So I think we should try to make this as much like the text case as
possible.