pg_basebackup: could not receive data from WAL stream - Mailing list pgsql-general

From greigwise
Subject pg_basebackup: could not receive data from WAL stream
Date
Re: pg_basebackup: could not receive data from WAL stream  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello.

On postgresql 10.5, my pg_basebackup is failing with this error:

pg_basebackup: could not receive data from WAL stream: server closed the
connection unexpectedly
before or while processing the request

In the postgres log files, I'm seeing:

2018-09-02 00:57:32 UTC bkp_user 5b8b278c.11c3f [unknown] LOG:  terminating
walsender process due to replication timeout

I'm running the following command right on the database server itself:

pg_basebackup -U repl -D /var/tmp/pg_basebackup_20180901 -Ft -z

It seems to be an intermittent problem.. I've had it fail or succeed about
50/50.  I even bumped up the wal_sender_timeout to 2000.  One notable thing
is that I'm running on an ec2 instance on AWS.

Any advice would be helpful.

Greig Wise

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html