Re: pg_basebackup: could not receive data from WAL stream - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_basebackup: could not receive data from WAL stream
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/01/2018 09:06 PM, greigwise wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On postgresql 10.5, my pg_basebackup is failing with this error:
>
> pg_basebackup: could not receive data from WAL stream: server closed the
> connection unexpectedly
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request
>
> In the postgres log files, I'm seeing:
>
> 2018-09-02 00:57:32 UTC bkp_user 5b8b278c.11c3f [unknown] LOG:  terminating
> walsender process due to replication timeout
>
> I'm running the following command right on the database server itself:
>
> pg_basebackup -U repl -D /var/tmp/pg_basebackup_20180901 -Ft -z
>
> It seems to be an intermittent problem.. I've had it fail or succeed about
> 50/50.  I even bumped up the wal_sender_timeout to 2000.  One notable thing
> is that I'm running on an ec2 instance on AWS.

The unit for wal_sender_timeout is ms so the above is 2 seconds whereas
the default value is 60 seconds(60s in postgresql.conf file).

See below for setting units in file:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/config-setting.html

Also what is your max_wal_senders setting?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com