Re: Transaction aborts on syntax error. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Transaction aborts on syntax error.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Most importantly, other references I have state that: the ANSI SQL-99
> specification does require that if a statement errors then only that
> statement's changes are rolled back.

No.  The spec says
        The execution of a <rollback statement> may be initiated implicitly        by an SQL-implementation when it
detectsunrecoverable errors.

and leaves it up to the implementation to define what is "unrecoverable".
Currently Postgres treats all errors as "unrecoverable".  This is
certainly not ideal, but it is within the letter of the spec.