Re: OPAQUE and 7.2-7.3 upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: OPAQUE and 7.2-7.3 upgrade
Date
Re: OPAQUE and 7.2-7.3 upgrade  (Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
> ISTM that this problem comes about because we allow an external function to
> be defined incorrectly (ie. the db says it returns type A, the function
> really returns type B) - and we should be addressing that problem.

Well, yeah.  7.3 is trying to tighten up on exactly that point.  And our
current problem arises precisely because dumps from older database
versions will fail to meet the tighter rules.  How can we accommodate
those old dumps without abandoning the attempt to be tighter about
datatypes?