Re: OPAQUE and 7.2-7.3 upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: OPAQUE and 7.2-7.3 upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 12:11 AM 13/09/2002 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>How can we accommodate
>those old dumps without abandoning the attempt to be tighter about
>datatypes?

Maybe I'm missing something, but:

1. Dump from 7.2 has 'Create Function....OPAQUE'

2. 7.3 installation has plpgsql library with new function info macro that
defines the builtin return type correctly

3. Script runs 'Create Function....OPAQUE'; the backend enquires about the
function in the 'plpgsql.so' library, notes that it really returns
'language_handler', issues a NOTICE and modifies the definition
appropriately before adding it to the database.

I'm not sure it's all that valuable, but if we wanted to allow for function
to return user-defined types, then the function manager macros would have
to include a return type name, not number.

Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/