Re: OPAQUE and 7.2-7.3 upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: OPAQUE and 7.2-7.3 upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> At 11:27 PM 12/09/2002 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> You mean hardwire the names "plpgsql_language_handler", etc, as being
>> ones that should return such-and-such instead of OPAQUE?

> No; I actually mean modifying the function definition macros
> (PG_FUNCTION_INFO etc) to allow function definitions to (optionally)
> include return type (at least for builtin types with fixed IDs) - they
> already define the invocation method etc, so it does not seem a big stretch
> to add a return type ID.

That cannot work for user-defined functions, wherein the datatype OID is
not frozen at the time the code is compiled.  In any case, it surely
does not help for our current problem, which is forward-compatibility
of dumps from 7.2 databases...