Re: Multibyte encoding vs. SQL_ASCII vs. locales and European languages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Multibyte encoding vs. SQL_ASCII vs. locales and European languages
Date
List pgsql-general
Frank Joerdens <frank@joerdens.de> writes:
> Multibyte support is mainly recommended for character sets that don't
> fit into a single byte (Chinese, Japanese, Korean), and locale support
> is said to be mostly sufficient for European languages . . . what escapes
> me is why I should bother with either of these when SQL_ASCII works just
> fine with my mostly German users. I must be missing something, right?

Sort ordering of non-7-bit-ASCII characters?  upper/lower case
conversions that work as expected?  locale-aware formatting options
in to_char and friends?

If you don't need any of that, then you won't need locale support.

I agree that you have no use for multibyte support.

            regards, tom lane