Re: Moving my business to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Moving my business to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 09:56:11AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> There is a complete version available to PgSQL.Com's clients ...
> LibertyRMS is using it to provide redundancy for the, I believe, .info(?)
> domain registry they are running ... the full version is not open source
> at this time ...

Yep, that's the one.  We are about to move another small ccTLD onto
the same machines, and replicate it as well.  The PgSQL.com version
works very nicely, in my view.  There were a few initial "gotchas" to
it in operation, but once we got everything sorted out, it just
works.

Some of our internal programmers did some more development with it,
and produced a Java interface which uses the underlying code (there
was something about using Java that they wanted, but I forget what it
was).  Anyway, we find the system very reliable.

One thing we _have_ noticed, by the way, is that dropping the RI
triggers on the slave is extremely helpful for performance.  (I had
some discussion about this with Tom Lane, who was puzzled; but I
haven't had time to do any more tests to explain the phenomenon).  If
your replication is stopped for a long time, leaving the RI triggers
on the slave sometimes prevents replication from ever catching up on
a loaded system.  I still haven't figured out why, though.

If anyone wants any more information about rserv, please feel free to
contact me.

Naturally, opinions expressed here (or anywhere else for that matter)
are my own, and may not be those of my employer.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110