Re: Moving my business to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Darley
Subject Re: Moving my business to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Jason,
    You should be able to connect to PostgreSQL as an ODBC data source, which
will allow you to use the Access File->Get External Data->Import menu item
to select your PostgreSQL database, select the tables you want to import and
bring them into Access.  This can be automated using VB or (I think) Access
macros.
    Additionally, you could use File->Get External Data->Link Tables to set up
a link to your database, and use it to pass only certain records back and
forth to your PostgreSQL database, which can also be automated.
    Without knowing exactly what you're doing, the best solution would probably
not be to synchronize the data, but to just link the PostgreSQL tables into
Access as tables and use them natively in Access, which is what we do where
I work.  This allows you to use the Access reporting system, it's creepy
query builder, Access forms, etc. directly against your main database
without having to worry about synchronization.
    If you are going to link the tables into Access you might want to let this
inform your table design decisions; for example the Text type in PostgreSQL
maps to Memo in Access, which isn't linkable or sortable under some
conditions, meaning that if you need it linkable or sortable it's best to
use varchar(255).
    Just my 2c.
Thanks,
Peter Darley