Re: increasing the default WAL segment size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: increasing the default WAL segment size
Date
Re: increasing the default WAL segment size  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I'd like to propose that we increase the default WAL segment size,
> which is currently 16MB.

That seems like a reasonable thing to consider ...

> Possibly it would make sense for this to be configurable at initdb
> time instead of requiring a recompile;

... but I think this is just folly.  You'd have to do major amounts
of work to keep, eg, slave servers on the same page as the master
about what the segment size is.  Better to keep treating it like
BLCKSZ, as a fixed parameter of a build.  (There's a reason why we
keep this number in pg_control.)