Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade ?deficiency - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade ?deficiency
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

>> Not sure about backpatching.  default_transaction_read_only has been
>> around since 7.4.  Setting it to true would cause pg_dump to fail unless
>> you changed the database setting, and pg_dumpall would fail completely
>> as there is no way to turn off the database setting.

See the attached patch.  It seems to fix pg_dump and pg_dumpall.  I
don't think it will cause any problem for *dumping* earlier
versions,  Backpatching would mean that if you try to restore a
dump made by 8.4 or later software to a 7.3 or earlier database,
you would get an error; but I don't think that's supported, and I
would be amazed if that were the *only* error you got if you tried
that.

>> The problem is that I don't remember any report of this failing in
>> pg_dump, pg_dumpall, or pg_upgrade, so saying it is a major issue is
>> hard to accept.

Any time that you can appear to successfully dump a database, and
the restore attempt fails, I consider that to be a major issue.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com