Re: Bug #882: Cannot manually log in to database. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug #882: Cannot manually log in to database.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au> writes:
> Either teach your /tmp cleaner not to clean out the socket files as
> Tom Lane suggested, or arrange to update the socket timestamps.  I
> think it's easier to just keep updating the timestamps -- then I don't
> have to educate each new system administrator.

>     utimes("/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432", (const struct timeval *) 0);

Hm, do you think that's portable?

There is already code in the postmaster to touch the socket lock file
every few minutes, so as to keep tmp-cleaners from zapping it.  (Or at
least there once was; I can't find it right now.)  If we could do the
same for the socket file it'd be really nice.  But I didn't think there
was any portable way to update the mod timestamp on a socket.

            regards, tom lane