Re: Bug #882: Cannot manually log in to database. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug #882: Cannot manually log in to database.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Kinsey, Ben" <BenK@aiinet.com> writes:
> Here's a little more detail as to how this socket file was getting deleted:
> On the system I'm using, if you attempt to start postmaster when an instance
> of it is already running, the socket file gets deleted.  It was discovered
> that upon bootup of the system, the postgres startup script was being
> executed twice in the /sbin/rc3.d directory, and this was causing the socket
> file to get deleted.  It wasn't a cron job.

The second postmaster launch was doing that?  It should not, because it
should detect that there's already a postmaster before it starts messing
with the socket file.  Perhaps there's a gratuitous "rm" of the socket
file or the socket lockfile in the startup script?

            regards, tom lane