Re: Bug #882: Cannot manually log in to database. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Giles Lean
Subject Re: Bug #882: Cannot manually log in to database.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
[ Where *did* that Reply-To: line come from -- it's broken ...

  repl: bad addresses:
    benk@aiinet.com; -- extraneous semi-colon
]

> Stopping and starting the postmaster daemon clears up this problem,
> but this problem creeps up about 2 times a week, and is a major
> annoyance.

Either teach your /tmp cleaner not to clean out the socket files as
Tom Lane suggested, or arrange to update the socket timestamps.  I
think it's easier to just keep updating the timestamps -- then I don't
have to educate each new system administrator.

    utimes("/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432", (const struct timeval *) 0);

If you can't write that into C, drop me a line, and I'll send you the
code.  Most touch(1) implementations would also do the right thing, so
you could try that too.  Then put whatever solution you choose into
cron, and you're done.

Regards,

Giles