Re: PostgreSQL training recommendations? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincent Veyron
Subject Re: PostgreSQL training recommendations?
Date
List pgsql-general
Le jeudi 18 octobre 2012 à 01:42 +1100, Chris Angelico a écrit :
>  Is it possible somehow to claim that reading this list is
> vital to your work, and therefore the 5 hours a week you spend
> answering other threads (in order to repay the community) is a
> legitimate work expense? :)

The ratio of benefits to costs in my case is close to infinity : I have
no formal training in computer programming, so I learned practically
everything on lists (plus a few books and a lot of documentation), and
have been making a leaving out of it for fifteen years.

I consider it essential to read them, to see what are real life
situations and the usually numerous possible answers, many of which one
person would not know about; it's like training for a professional
athlete, and one has to practice every day.

Also, on numerous occasions, some thread I followed out of interest lead
me to a very suitable solution for a problem at hand within the next few
days of work : many hours were saved that way.

I could go on, but in short vital is the right word I'd say.

(I'll just mention that I am in constant awe at the level of expertise
dispensed in this particular list)

--
Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/