Re: Baseline configurations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From salah jubeh
Subject Re: Baseline configurations
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I think database security is quite complex issue depends on the institution requirements. I have worked with elections and voting and we had an extreme polices for security not only for authorization, authentication, and password policies. We was obligated to use database auditing to record each change (insert, update) on the data and the delete sql command was disabled for all tables. Other institution has less security requirements. A baseline for security fluctuate too much based on needs. In general, I find the following document a very a good guide to give a base line for securing the data, because it handles the issue also from management point view

Regards

From: Mike Orr <sluggoster@gmail.com>
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:18 PM
Subject: [GENERAL] Baseline configurations

Does PostgreSQL have any baseline security configuration documents?
(Aka "hardened" configuration "benchmark" checklist.) My organization
is asking for official or vendor-supported baseline configurations for
all our software. I looked through the PG manual, the security page on
the website, and in Google and found some discussions about
customizing role permissions and SSL connections, but nothing that
covered the entirety of the software like this one for MySQL:

http://benchmarks.cisecurity.org/en-us/?route=downloads.show.single.mysql.102
(Center for Internet Security). I can't link directly to the document
because it's behind a download form,  but the TOC outline covers: OS
level configuration, file system permissions, logging, general
(default test databases, accounts), database/table permissions,
configuration options, backup/recovery. Each recommendation specifies
whether it's scoreable (verifiable by an audit program), and its
tradeoffs (i.e., whether it might be too burdensome or a bad idea in
various situations).

If I can't find such a checklist for PostgreSQL I can write my own,
but it would be more authoritative if it were an official PostgreSQL
document or supported by a vendor or organization.

Thanks in advance. I've been a happy PostgreSQL user for two or three years now.

--
Mike Orr <sluggoster@gmail.com>