Re: Updating 9.0.4 --> 9.1.1: How best to ??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Subject Re: Updating 9.0.4 --> 9.1.1: How best to ???
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 12:41 +0200, r d wrote:

> I decided to install the PGDG repo (pgdg-fedora91-9.1-5.noarch) to
> make it update. It does not.

Fedora/Red Hat distro RPMs a only binary compatible since last year. I
broke package compatibility by enabling multiple version installation.

> The FC15 packages are called "postgresql_*" and not "postgresql90_*",
> the PGDG packages are called "postgresql91_*".

See above.

> Since both repositories apparently get into each others way, my
> question is, what is the best (recommended) way to update or install
> postgres:
>
> - Dump my FC15 installation and replace it with one coming from the
> PGDG repo?

This might be one of the options. However, as compared to Fedora RPMs,
we don't offer upgrade path. Fedora RPMs have a

service (or systemctl... whatever) postgresql upgrade

option. So, an upgrade path could be:

* Replace current packages with PGDG packages. Please note that data
directory of 9.0 will be under /var/lib/pgsql/9.0, not /var/lib/pgsql.

* Make sure that db is working.

* Now, install 9.1 in parallel.

* Perform upgrade using pg_upgrade or pg_dump.

* Start 9.1

> - Wait for the 9.1 packages to appear in the Fedora Core repo?

Fedora will release 9.1 in F-16. Fedora 15 won't have 9.1.

Regards,

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Attachment