Re: [HACKERS] logical replication busy-waiting on a lock - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: [HACKERS] logical replication busy-waiting on a lock
Date
Re: [HACKERS] logical replication busy-waiting on a lock  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 27/05/17 15:44, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On 27/05/17 01:25, Jeff Janes wrote:
>> When I create a subscription in the disabled state, and then later doing
>> "alter subscription sub enable;", on the master I sometimes get a tight
>> loop of the deadlock detector:
>>
>> (log_lock_waits is on, of course)
>>
>> deadlock_timeout is set to 1s, so I don't know why it seems to be
>> running several times per millisecond.

>> And so on out to "after 9616.814", when it finally acquires the lock.
>>
>> The other process, 47457, is doing the initial COPY of another table as
>> part of the same publisher/subscriber set.
>>

> We lock wait for running transactions in snapshot builder while the
> snapshot is being built so I guess that's what you are seeing. I am not
> quite sure why the snapshot builder would hold the xid lock for
> prolonged period of time though, the XactLockTableWait releases the lock
> immediately after acquiring it. In fact AFAICS everything that acquires
> ShareLock on xid releases it immediately after acquiring as it's only
> used for waits.

Actually, I guess it's the pid 47457 (COPY process) who is actually
running the xid 73322726. In that case that's the same thing Masahiko
Sawada reported [1]. Which basically is result of snapshot builder
waiting for transaction to finish, that's normal if there is a long
transaction running when the snapshot is being created (and the COPY is
a long transaction).

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAD21AoC2KJdavS7MFffmSsRc1dn3Vg_0xmuc%3DUpBrZ-_MUxh-Q%40mail.gmail.com

Services